You may feel more sluggish than lively at this time of year.
But it’s kind of gloomy out … so we’ve got exercises for a leaner, more toned body without leaving the comfort of your living room. Replace a bench with your couch:
1. Begin with your hands holding you up on the couch cushion, elbows straight. Keep your legs bent at a 90 degree angle.
2. Slowly bend your elbows, lowering your body until your elbows are parallel to your shoulders.
3. Hold the position for two counts and then raise back up, returning to step one.
4. Repeat for 12 reps of three sets.
Muscles worked: triceps
Benched Hip Raises
1. Lie on your back with one foot flat on the couch cushion and the other leg raised perpendicular to the floor.
2. Lift your hips until your body forms a ramp.
3. Slowly lower your hips until they just about reach the ground and then use the bent leg to lift your hips back up.
4. Repeat for three sets of 12 reps on each leg.
Muscles worked: hamstrings, glutes, lower back, core
Side Plank Dips
1. Position one forearm on the couch cushion with your legs outstretched and your body making a diagonal line from your shoulder.
2. Place your top leg slightly over the bottom leg and your free arm on your hip to ensure balance.
3. Slowly dip your hips toward the floor.
4. Raise your hips back up to starting position and then repeat for three sets of 12 reps each.
Muscles worked: obliques, core
About the Instructor: As founder of Chicago Wedding Trainer in Lincoln Park, Lisa Axelrad trains with only one goal in mind: to get results. Using her background in exercise science, she makes sure her clients work toward sleek muscle tone, keeping them sexy and feminine. You can find her at chicagoweddingtrainer.com.