LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design is a green building certification system.
It provides third-party verification that a building is energy and water efficient. Here is a list of local buildings that have gone through the certification process. If we missed one, please let us know in the comments section below.
Chicago Center for Green Technology, Department of The Environment—the first rehabilitated municipal building in the country to receive a platinum LEED rating. It is a recycled factory with just about every green feature imaginable and is an educational resource for green technology and design for buildings in the Midwest.
445 N. Sacramento Blvd, Chicago
CNT Renovation Center for Neighborhood Technology – an organization that researches, invents and proposes eco-friendly strategies to use resources more efficiently in an urban environment.
2125 West North Avenue, Chicago
Haworth Chicago Showroom – the first LEED Gold certified space in the merchandise mart. The organization designs and manufactures office furniture and organic workspaces with unique features including raised access floors, moveable walls, systems furniture, seating, storage and wood case goods. They supply 120 countries and have about 600 dealers.
222 Merchandise Mart Plaza # 312, Chicago
Alta at K Station Apartment Complex – the largest apartment complex in the country with a Gold LEED building status. It contains 848 luxury residences along with multiple green roofs, landscaping that needs minimal water, and a one-acre park for the residents of the building.
555 W Kinzie St., Chicago
111 S Wacker Drive Office Buildings – 51 stories of office buildings that use energy-efficient lighting and telecommunications.
111 S Wacker Drive, Chicago
Park Huron – a luxury apartment complex in Chicago’s River North neighborhood that recently earned a Gold LEED certification. The complex meets the LEED standards of high energy and water efficiency, recycled regional and construction materials, and a sophisticated air-filtration system for a high indoor air quality.
469 W. Huron St., Chicago
Michuda Construction – provides general contracting, construction management, design-build and pre-construction services to its customers.
11204 South Western Ave, Chicago
Chicago Transit Authority Building – includes Province, the first restaurant in Chicago to receive a gold LEED rating. The building strives to reduce energy use, greenhouse gas emissions, and storm water runoff to decrease operating costs and the environmental impact of rail stations, offices, and maintenance facilities.
567 W Lake St, Chicago
Chicago FBI Building – has a Platinum LEED rating due to its successful efforts in reducing carbon emission and lowering operating costs in the building.
2111 W. Roosevelt Road, Chicago
Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Plant Conservation Center, Glencoe, IL – This laboratory and teaching space also has a green roof that can be visited by the public.
1000 Lake Cook Road, Glencoe
Evelyn Pease Tyner Interpretive Center, Glenview IL – a school designed by Wight & Company with a Platinum LEED rating. It’s located in Air Station Prairie, which is a tall grass prairie north of Chicago. The building has a 4,000 sq. ft. vegetated roof, rests between two natural wetlands and is located on a pin foundation to create minimal disturbance to natural habitats on the construction site.
2400 Compass Rd, Glenview
Exelon Headquarters – was built by Turner Construction and is a Platinum LEED certified building. Exelon has reduced electricity consumption by more than 43 percent and water consumption by 30 percent as compared to its previous space and has created a healthy and more productive work environment for its employees. The building is 10 stories tall and 200,000 sq. ft.
10 South Dearborn Street, Chicago
Jewish Reconstructionist Congregation Synagogue, Evanston – is a daycare, K-12 education, library, and church building. The construction of this building replaced an existing synagogue on the same site and has a Platinum LEED rating.
303 Dodge Ave. Evanston
ABN AMRO Clearing Chicago — is a top electronic clearer. The building has a Gold LEED building status.
400 South La Salle Street, Chicago
Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America, Inc.— is among the top 15 pharmaceutical companies in the United States. Two buildings near Chicago have Gold LEED status.
One Takeda Parkway Deerfield, IL
Conway Park 675 North Field Dr. Lake Forest, IL
Buildings with Silver and Bronze LEED Ratings:
• 22nd District Police Station – 1900 West Monterey Avenue, Chicago
• AMLI Residential Apartments – 900 S Clark Street, Chicago
• The Angel Harvey Infant Welfare Society of Chicago Community Health Center — 3600 W. Fullerton Avenue, Chicago
• Bucktown-Wicker Park Branch Library — 1701 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago
• Chicago Public Library, Oriole Park Branch – 7454 West Balmoral Avenue, Chicago
• Cook County Domestic Violence Courthouse – 340 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago
• Gensler Building – 11 East Madison Street, Chicago
• Hyatt Center — 71 South Wacker Drive, Chicago
• Kohl Children’s Museum — 2100 Patriot Boulevard, Glenview
• Legat Architects — 651 West Washington Boulevard #1, Chicago
• Logan Square Branch Library — 3255 West Altgeld Street, Chicago
• Morgan at Loyola Station (Eco-Friendly Modern Apartments) — 1209 West Arthur Avenue, Chicago
• One South Dearborn Office Building Complex — One South Dearborn, Chicago
• Recycling Systems Inc. — 3152 South California Avenue, Chicago Saint Xavier University, Rubloff Hall — 3700 West 103rd Street, Chicago
• Target McKinley Park – 1940 W 33rd St, Chicago
• Tarkington Elementary School — 3330 West 71st Street, Chicago
• USG – 550 W Adams St, Chicago
• West Englewood Public Library — 1745 West 63rd Street, Chicago
• West Pullman Branch Library — 830 West 119Th Street, Chicago
• Wp/p Cannon Design — 111 West Washington, Chicago