There’s an overwhelming variety of makeup lines and beauty products currently on the market, which makes it hard to know which ones to try and which ones really work. We went straight to the makeup artists to learn more about their favorite makeup products.
1. “At the moment, I am LOVING the Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide Foundation. It’s long-wearing yet lightweight. I usually prefer a more full-coverage foundation but when I apply this with my Bobbi Brown Full Coverage Face Brush my skin looks flawless without the weight of a heavy foundation.” —Robyn Gould, freelance Chicago makeup artist
2. “Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage completely covers dark circles, blemishes, scars and imperfections. It lasts up to eight hours. I love it! My other favorite is Dior Airflash Spray Foundation. It’s an ultra-light foundation spray that delivers an airbrush effect. Just spray on and use Sephora Brush #55 to buff into skin. You can turn your daytime look into night in seconds by layering on top of any oil-free tinted moisturizer or oil-free foundation. I love it because it truly makes your skin flawless with a healthy glow instantly and photographs amazingly.” —Josie Volpentesta, celebrity makeup artist
3. “My fave product these days is Tarte’s Amazonian Clay BB Illuminating Moisturizer. I add a drop to a tinted moisturizer or foundation for a beautiful glow. It gives added moisture, much needed in these dry winter months, and a luminous, dewy finish.” —Lauren Frenden, freelance Chicago makeup artist
4. “My new favorite product is Yves Saint Laurent Fusion Ink Foundation. Weightless, wonderful wearability—and silky! —Karen Graff Schaldach, makeup artist and store manager at Cos Bar in Highland Park
5. “My favorite product right now is Serge Lutens Quant a Soi, a white primer usually mistaken for concealer. It’s smooth consistency works beautifully under makeup, letting the white brightness of the primer shine through. It fills in pores and fine lines and can also be used as an eye-shadow primer. It’s meant to cover ‘faults,’ such as red or dark spots, and may be used under any type of foundation. This comes in a little black box-like container and goes for $80. A little goes a very long way, so this primer could last you around five months even if it’s used daily. I also love M.A.C.’s Lipstick in Chili and Lip Pencil in Auburn. Both the lipstick and pencil are the perfect fall/winter colors in a rusty red and look beautiful paired with the grey colors in clothing.” —Regina Sneor, celebrity makeup artist and owner of D’Works
6. “One of my favorite products is Trish McEvoy Instant Eye Lift. It is a long-wearing line filler and under-eye brightener that diminishes the look of fine lines while awakening the eye area for an instant, all-day lift. It’s perfect for your makeup bag because it’s small enough and comes in handy when you need the perfect touch up!” —Jessica Kramer, makeup artist at Nordstrom, Westfield Old Orchard
7. “My favorite makeup product right now is the Ink Eye Liner from Leesi B Cosmetics. This highly pigmented liquid liner is incredibly easy to use with its felt-tip applicator for a precise line that perfectly defines eyes. Smudge-proof and long-wearing, apply it with the straight side of the applicator for a thin line, or use the side edge for a fuller line or “cat-eye” look. It comes in four beautiful colors: Jet Black, Chocolate Brown, Sapphire Sky and Emerald Isle.” —Elise Brill, Chicago makeup artist